Great Ness and Little Ness Parish Council
Vacancies for Great Ness ward
The Parish Council has a vacancy for Great Ness Ward; the ward encompasses Great Ness, Hopton, Felton Butler, Nesscliffe, Wilcott and Wilcott Marsh. Candidates do not have to live within Great Ness ward and can either live within 3 miles of it (e.g. in Little Ness) or work in the ward - please contact the Clerk if you are unsure.
What does the role involve?
The Parish Council represents and serves the whole community. Most communities are made up of many smaller communities, often with different interests, a Council’s duty is to serve them all. A Council balances the needs of different elements of the community to get the best results.
The Parish Council is made up of individual Councillors who contribute to the work of the whole Council by:
- suggesting ideas
- engaging in constructive debate
- responding to the needs and views of the community
- representing their constituents
- behaving in an ethical way and being open about interests
- commenting on proposals to ensure the best outcome
- voting – to enable the Council to make decisions
What are the key issues in the parish?
Examples of recent and upcoming issues include:
- Planning/development - the Local Plan Review consultation will start in Autumn 2017 and we will find out if Shropshire Council is proposing further development in the parishes and have the opportunity to comment on this.
- Parish Plan Review and facilities in the parishes - it is important to ensure the parishes have the facilities and services parishioners want, in particular to manage the impact of new development - we are about to look into renewing the Parish Plan as this sets out guidelines for what parishioners want and can be a basis for obtaining funding.
- Supporting local groups, such as the Youth Club
- Liaising with Shropshire Council to manage the impact of budget cuts e.g. impact on Nesscliffe Country Park
- Traffic calming
If you are interested, please contact the Clerk, Rebecca Turner - firstname.lastname@example.org or 01743 741611.
You will need to complete the application form in the co-option policy below and return by 1st April 2019